Wednesday 17 December 2014

Timing Differences

Today I read in the newspaper how thousands of Jimmy Savile victims will receive compensation from his estate.
Jimmy Savile, a man praised relentlessly during his lifetime and only after his death was his reputation tarnished.
What is his legacy? What lesson will be learnt by humanity?

Another story that caught my eye was the murder of Dave West, a neighbour of Stephen Fry.
This man made an estimated £100million from a string of nightclubs and lap dancing establishments.
Dave West was known to live life excessively. His son “Little Dave” apparently murdered him.

Ask yourself this question:
Would you rather have fame and fortune during your lifetime but be vilified after your death or live your life quietly with dignity and modesty but risk not being remembered at all?
I specifically qualified my question not to suggest that seeking fame and fortune was necessarily a bad thing - after all there are many philanthropists who use their fame and fortune in a positive way (this is of course how Jimmy Savile was perceived)

This morning I watched Bette Midler sing that timeless ballad Wind Beneath My Wings and as ever it brought a tear to my eye as I reflected on my own unsung hero.
This love song is the most-played at British funerals – and why not – so many people leave this earth after leading good honest lives and it is fitting they are remembered with love.

I can recall countless examples of great people passing without ever creating more than a ripple at the moment of their death but during their lives influenced many. One such person was my old headmaster, John Piper, and another was a friend, Val, who ran an adventure playground for many years.
I was pleased to read in the newspaper this week that my friend’s husband who also ran the adventure playground was honoured. Phil would be chuffed but it wasn’t important to him – it’s not why he has been a lollipop man for the past eight years.

June Humphries is a lady that has led an exemplary life.
During her lifetime she has spread love wherever she goes.
She is still alive albeit afflicted with that terrible snatcher of dignity - Alzheimer’s Disease.
June is a legend around town and I can hardly take her into a shop without someone coming up and asking how she is or remembering happier days when June’s always smiley face made their hospital stay more tolerable, their shopping less of a chore or their bus journey more exciting.
I have always known June was a true one-off. Universally loved – love that you can feel from people, tangible love emanating from that quality we all have to love those that do not threaten us, to love those that show us love and to love those that are humble, modest and dignified.
June is fading fast. She is barely there anymore but I love her now more than ever.
June growed me up so to speak. She gave me direction in my formative years and she was my first role model.

It is wonderful that June is surrounded by love and when that love dims as the woman that June was fades more and more we will all have our memories but most of all – God will remember.

And why I named this blog Timing Differences?


The thing that defines humans is our propensity to be tempted very easily and to crave instant gratification by whatever means - sometimes to the detriment of others. It is all vanity – transient happiness but only the few appreciate that joy is the key everlasting joy rather than fleeting fixes.

No comments: